Victoria Island, c.81,930 sq mi (212,200 sq km), part of the Arctic Archipelago, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, N Canada; third largest island of Canada. On the southeast coast is Cambridge Bay, a U.S.-Canadian weather station and trading post. The island was visited by the British explorers Thomas Simpson and Peter W. Dease in the late 1830s; John Rae explored it in 1851.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Victoria Island from Infoplease:
- Victoria Island: meaning and definitions - Victoria Island: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/victoria island - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Large Islands of the World - Find lists of the world's largest islands including the name, location, political affiliation, and land area from Infoplease.com
- Cambridge Bay - Cambridge Bay Cambridge Bay, hamlet (1991 pop. 1,116), Canadian government post and weather ...
- Melville Island, Canada - Melville Island Melville Island, c.16,400 sq mi (42,500 sq km), Northwest Territories and Nunavut, ...