Varese (värāˈzā) [key], city (1991 pop. 85,687), capital of Varese prov., Lombardy, N Italy, near the Swiss border. Situated in the Alpine foothills, near several Italian lakes, it is a popular tourist center. Manufactures include silk, machinery, plastics, and leather goods. The Este palace in Varese (1768–80) has lovely gardens. On a nearby hill is a church originally founded (late 4th cent.) by St. Ambrose.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Varese from Infoplease:
- Varese: meaning and definitions - Varese: Definition and Pronunciation
- Edgard Varèse - Varèse, Edgard Varèse, Edgard , 1883–1965, French-American composer. In Paris ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/varese - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Lombardy - Lombardy Lombardy , Ital. Lombardia, region (1991 pop. 8,856,069), c.9,200 sq mi (23,830 sq km), N ...
- William Grant Still - Still, William Grant Still, William Grant, 1895–1978, American composer, b. Woodville, Miss. ...