Sundsvall (sŭntsˈvälˌ) [key], city (1990 pop. 50,380), Västernorrland co., E Sweden, a major seaport on the Sundsvallfjärden, an arm of the Gulf of Bothnia. Manufactures include cellulose, metal goods, aluminum, and dairy products. Sundsvall was chartered in 1621. Its main industrial growth dates from the late 19th cent., when it was the focus of a massive sawmilling industry, and when it also suffered (1888) a destructive fire.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sundsvall from Infoplease:
- Sundsvall: meaning and definitions - Sundsvall: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/sundsvall - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index suc succah succedaneum succedent succedent house succeed succeeding succentor ...
- Sweden - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Sweden and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Sweden — map of Sweden, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.