Sochi (sôˈchē) [key], city (1989 pop. 337,000), Krasnodar Territory, S European Russia, on the east shore of the Black Sea, in the foothills of the Caucasus. It is a port and subtropical resort, established as a spa in 1902. Tourism is important to the city. Sochi will be the host city for the 2014 winter Olympics.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sochi from Infoplease:
- Sochi: meaning and definitions - Sochi: Definition and Pronunciation
- Russia's Anti-Gay Bill Ignites International Protests - During the summer of 2013, Russia passed an anti-gay bill that sparked protests worldwide and caused concern for the 2014 Olympic Games.
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/sochi - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- May 2006 Disasters - May 2006 Disasters May 3, Sochi, Russia: an Armavia (Armenian airline), Airbus A-320, crashed in ...
- Krasnodar Territory - Krasnodar Territory Krasnodar Territory, administrative division (1995 pop. 5,004,200), 32,317 sq ...