Salto (sälˈtō) [key], city (1996 pop. 93,417), capital of Salto dept., NW Uruguay, on the Uruguay River. Salto is a thriving cultural and commercial center for a farming and livestock region. There are boatbuilding, meatpacking, and wine industries. In the surrounding region are extensive orange and tangerine orchards as well as vineyards.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Salto from Infoplease:
- Salto: meaning and definitions - Salto: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/salto - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Angel Falls - Angel Falls Angel Falls, waterfall, Sp. Salto Ángel, 3,212 ft (979 m) high, SE Venezuela, in ...
- Uruguay, river, South America - Uruguay Uruguay , river, c.1,000 mi (1,610 km) long, rising in S Brazil and flowing in an arc W, ...
- Henk Badings - Badings, Henk Badings, Henk , 1907–87, Dutch composer, b. Bandung, Java (now Indonesia). ...