Saint-Claude (săN-klōd) [key], town (1990 est. pop. 13,265), Jura dept., E France, in Franche-Comté, at the confluence of the Bienne and Tacon rivers. It is a resort that has a variety of light manufactures. First a Gallic, then a Roman town, it took its name from Bishop Claude of Besançon, who died there in the 7th cent. Serfdom survived in the town at the abbey of Saint-Claude until the abbey was suppressed by the French Revolution in 1789.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: French Political Geography