Rio Branco, city (1996 pop. 228,907), capital of Acre state, NW Brazil, on the Acre River. Rubber and Brazil nuts are its chief products; there is also some farming. Rio Branco has air connections with the major cities of Brazil, but river travel is still an important means of transportation. Rio Branco was built on the site of a former rubber plantation. It has a university.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rio Branco from Infoplease:
- Rio Branco, José Maria da Silva Paranhos, barão do - Rio Branco, José Maria da Silva Paranhos, barão do Rio Branco, José Maria da ...
- Rio Branco: meaning and definitions - Rio Branco: Definition and Pronunciation
- acre: meaning and definitions - acre: Definition and Pronunciation
- Acre, state, Brazil - Acre Acre , state (1990 est. pop. 1,125,100), 58,915 sq mi (152,590 sq km), W Brazil, on the ...
- Boa Vista - Boa Vista Boa Vista , city (1996 pop. 154,166), capital of Roraima state, NW Brazil, on the Rio ...