Qostanay, Kostanai, or Kustanay (all: kŏsˌtənĪˈ) [key], city (1993 est. pop. 228,000), N Kazakhstan, on the Tobol River. It is an agricultural center and producer of chemical fibers. Rich iron deposits are nearby at Rudnyi. The city expanded dramatically in the 1960s as a result of the Virgin Lands campaign.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Qostanay from Infoplease:
- Tobol - Tobol Tobol , river, c.1,050 mi (1,690 km) long, rising in the Mugodzhar Hills, NE Kazakhstan. It ...
- Virgin Lands Territory - Virgin Lands Territory Virgin Lands Territory, Rus. Tselinny Kray, former administrative division, ...
- Kustanay - Kustanay: Kustanay: see Qostanay, Kazakhstan.
- Kostanai - Kostanai: Kostanai: see Qostanay, Kazakhstan.
- Encyclopedia: CIS and Baltic Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning CIS and Baltic Political Geography.