Palos de la Frontera
Palos de la Frontera (päˈlōs dā lä frōntāˈrä) [key], town Huelva prov., SW Spain, in Andalusia, on the Tinto River near its mouth. From its port (now silted up), Columbus sailed on his first voyage of discovery (1492), returning and reembarking in 1493. Cortés landed there in 1528 after his conquest of Mexico. The Franciscan monastery at nearby La Rábida has Columbian mementos.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Palos de la Frontera from Infoplease:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography