Omuta (ōˈmōtä) [key] or Omuda –dä, city (1990 pop. 150,453), Fukuoka prefecture, W Kyushu, Japan, a port on the Amakusa Sea. With conversion from coal to petroleum in the 1960s, Omuta's coal mining decreased, which caused many problems when the land over neglected mines shifted. Omuta still has large chemical and metal industries.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Omuta from Infoplease:
- Omuta: meaning and definitions - Omuta: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/omuta - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Arao - Arao Arao , city (1990 pop. 59,507), Kumamoto prefecture, W Kyushu, Japan, on Ariake Bay. It is a ...
- Kyushu - Kyushu Kyushu , island (1990 pop. 13,064,955), c.13,760 sq mi (35,640 sq km), S Japan. It is the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ology ololiuqui Olomouc Olongapo Olonos oloroso olpe Olson Olsztyn Olwen olykoek ...