Kolar (kōlärˈ) [key], city (1991 pop. 83,287), Karnataka state, SW India. Manufactures include textiles and leather goods. Founded in the late 19th cent., Kolar was the center of the Indian gold-mining industry until the mines closed in 2000. The first hydroelectric project in S India was built in 1902 to provide electricity for the gold fields.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kolar from Infoplease:
- Kolar: meaning and definitions - Kolar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bride of the Wind - Starring Vincent Perez, Jonathan Pryce, Sarah Wynter, Simon Verhoeven, Marion Rottenhofer
- Road to Nowhere - Starring Michael Bigham, Mallory Culbert, Cliff De Young, John Diehl, Rob Kolar
- No Man's Land (Nicija zemlia) - Starring Branko Djuric, Rene Bitorajac, Filip Sovagovic, Georges Siatidis, Katrin Cartlidge
- The Boys & Girl From County Clare - Starring Andrea Corr, Colm Meaney, Bernard Hill, Patrick Bergin, Catherine Byrne