Kigali (kēgäˈlē) [key], city (1997 pop. 330,000), central Rwanda, capital of Rwanda. It is the country's main administrative and economic center. The city has an international airport and road access to all of the country's borders. Iron ore (cassiterite) is mined nearby, and the city built a smelting plant in the 1980s. Founded in 1907 under German colonial rule, Kigali was made the capital when Rwanda gained independence in 1962. In 1994 it was the scene of the slaughter of thousands of Tutsis by Hutu gangs and the Rwandan army, and of fierce fighting between the army and Tutsi-dominated rebel forces.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kigali from Infoplease:
- Kigali: meaning and definitions - Kigali: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rwanda - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Rwanda and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Rwanda — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Rwanda: meaning and definitions - Rwanda: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rwanda - Rwanda Rwanda , officially Republic of Rwanda, republic (2005 est. pop. 8,441,000), 10,169 sq mi ...
- Munyurangabo - Starring Jeff Rutagengwa, Eric Ndorunkundiye, Jean Marie Vianney Nkurikiyinka, Jean Pierre Harerimana, Narcicia Nyirabucyeye