Jhang-Maghiana (jəng-məgyäˈnə) [key], twin cities (1998 pop. 292,214) c.2 mi (3.2 km) apart, central Pakistan, on the Chenab River. Maghiana is above, in the highlands overlooking a valley; Jhang is below. Two roads link the two cities, and a government college is halfway between them. Jhang has a government center that supplies blankets to the army and to hospitals. Maghiana, where many refugee weavers from India settled after the subcontinent's partition in 1947, is an important wool collection center. In the center of Jhang is the temple of Lal Nath, who founded the city in the late 17th cent.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Jhang-Maghiana from Infoplease:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Pakistan and Bangladesh Political Geography