Inkerman (ĭngˈkərmən, Rus. ēnkĭrmänˈ) [key], eastern suburb of Sevastopol, S Ukraine, in the Crimea. In 1854, French and British troops defeated the Russian forces at Inkerman in the Crimean War. Nearby are cave dwellings and a burial place (2d–4th cent.) and a 14th-century fortress.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Inkerman from Infoplease:
- Inkerman: meaning and definitions - Inkerman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/inkerman - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index -ine inebriant inebriate inebriety inedible inedita inedited ineducable ...
- Raglan, Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron - Raglan, Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan, Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron, ...
- Crimean War - Crimean War Crimean War , 1853–56, war between Russia on the one hand and the Ottoman Empire, ...