Herrnhut (hĕrnˈhōt) [key], town, Saxony, SE Germany. It was founded (1722) by Graf von Zinzendorf as a colony of Moravian Brethren (see Moravian Church), and is today a Moravian center with archives, a publishing house, and a museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Herrnhut from Infoplease:
- Herrnhuter: meaning and definitions - Herrnhuter: Definition and Pronunciation
- Moravian: meaning and definitions - Moravian: Definition and Pronunciation
- August Gottlieb Spangenberg - Spangenberg, August Gottlieb Spangenberg, August Gottlieb , 1704–92, a bishop of the Moravian ...
- Zinzendorf, Nikolaus Ludwig, Graf von - Zinzendorf, Nikolaus Ludwig, Graf von Zinzendorf, Nikolaus Ludwig, Graf von , 1700–1760, ...
- Moravian Church - Moravian Church Moravian Church, Renewed Church of the Brethren,or Unitas Fratrum, an evangelical ...