Haute-Loire (ōt-lwär) [key], department (1990 pop. 206,568), S central France, largely in the Massif Central. Le Puy-en-Velay is the capital.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Haute-Loire from Infoplease:
- Haute-Loire: meaning and definitions - Haute-Loire: Definition and Pronunciation
- Le Puy: meaning and definitions - Le Puy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Velay - Velay Velay , region, E central France, in the Massif Central and partly in Haute-Loire dept. ...
- Le Puy-en-Velay - Puy-en-Velay, Le Puy-en-Velay, Le , city (1990 pop. 23,434), capital of Haute-Loire dept., S ...
- Auvergne - Auvergne Auvergne , region and former province, S central France. The area is now occupied chiefly ...