Deauville (dōvēlˈ) [key], town (1993 est. pop. 4,380), Calvados dept., N France, on the English Channel. A fashionable resort, it has a famous racecourse and a gambling casino. Tourism has increased due to the construction of the Paris-Normandie motorway, as well as the expansion of nearby Beauxville airport.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Deauville from Infoplease:
- Deauville: meaning and definitions - Deauville: Definition and Pronunciation
- Fashion Timeline - Fashion timeline from the first haute couture house in 1858 to the present.
- Coco Chanel - Chanel, Coco Chanel, Coco (Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel), 1883–1971, French fashion designer b. ...
- English Channel - English Channel English Channel, Fr. La Manche [the sleeve], arm of the Atlantic Ocean, c.350 (560 ...
- Bob the Gambler (Bob le Flambeur) - Starring Isabelle Corey, Daniel Cauchy, Roger Duchesne, André Garet, Gérard Buhr