Crawley, city (1991 pop. 80,113) and district, West Sussex, SE England. Crawley was designated one of the new towns in 1946 to alleviate overpopulation in London. There are diverse industries, including precision engineering, printing, plastics, and food processing. It is a regional retail shopping center. Gatwick International Airport is located there, as is the Crawley College of Further Education.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Crawley from Infoplease:
- Crawley - Crawley Crooked as Crawley (or) Crawley brook, a river in Bedfordshire. That part called the brook, ...
- Crooked as Crawley - Crooked as Crawley (See Crawley.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894 ...
- Vanity Fair - Starring Reese Witherspoon, James Purefoy, Natasha Little, Eileen Atkins, Jim Broadbent
- Janis (1974) - Starring Janis Joplin, Sam Andrew, Dick Cavett
- William Munford TUCK - William Munford TUCK (1896-1983) TUCK, William Munford, a Representative from Virginia; born near ...