Chimbote (chimbōˈtē) [key], city (1993 pop. 268,979), capital Santa prov., Ancash dept., W Peru. A seaport on the Pacific Ocean at the mouth of the Santa River, Chimbote exports fish products, rice, cotton, sugar, minerals, and machinery. It is located on the Pan-American Highway and is a rail terminus. An earthquake destroyed much of the city in 1970; it has since been rebuilt.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Chimbote from Infoplease:
- Chimbote: meaning and definitions - Chimbote: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alejandro Toledo Manrique - Toledo Manrique, Alejandro Toledo Manrique, Alejandro, 1946–, Peruvian political leader, ...
- Alejandro Toledo - Alejandro Toledo Man of the poor wins Peruvian presidency by Beth Rowen Peruvian President ...
- Encyclopedia: South American Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning South American Political Geography.
- Peru - Information on Peru — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.