Carmarthenshire, Welsh Sir Gaerfyrddin, county, 926 sq mi (2,398 sq km), S Wales. In 1974, Carmarthenshire became part of the nonmetropolitan county of Dyfed, but in 1996 Dyfed was dissolved and Carmarthenshire was restored as a unitary authority. The National Botanical Garden of Wales is located in Llanarthne.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Carmarthenshire from Infoplease:
- Carmarthenshire: meaning and definitions - Carmarthenshire: Definition and Pronunciation
- Carmarthen: meaning and definitions - Carmarthen: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dyfed - Dyfed Dyfed , former county, W Wales. It was created in the 1974 administrative reorganization of ...
- Ceredigion - Ceredigion Ceredigion, county, 694 sq mi (1,797 sq km), W Wales. Ceredigion, corresponding to the ...
- Llanelli - Llanelli Llanelli , town (1981 pop. 45,336), Carmarthenshire, S Wales, on the estuary of the ...