Bohol (bôhôlˈ) [key], island (1990 pop. 948,403), 1,491 sq mi (3,862 sq km), the Philippines, one of the Visayan Islands, SW of Leyte. It is a major corn-producing area. Rice, cacao, and hemp are also grown, and manganese and copper are mined. The island suffered significant damage in an earthquake in Oct., 2013. Bohol prov. comprises the main island and several offshore islands; its capital is at Tagbilaran.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bohol from Infoplease:
- Bohol: meaning and definitions - Bohol: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/bohol - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Visayan Islands: meaning and definitions - Visayan Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Visayan Islands - Visayan Islands Visayan Islands , large island group (1990 pop. 13,794,991), c.24,000 sq mi (62,160 ...
- The Philippines - Philippines, The Philippines, The , officially Republic of the Philippines, republic (2005 est. ...