Bergerac (bĕrzhəräkˈ) [key], town (1990 pop. 27,886), Dordogne dept., SW France, in Périgord, on the Dordogne River. It is a farm-trade and processing center. It also has boiler works, foundries, chemical plants, and shoe factories. Possessed by the English in the 14th cent., it was recovered in 1450 by the French. It became a Protestant stronghold and was taken (1621) by Louis XIII. A tobacco museum and an experimental tobacco institute are there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: French Political Geography