Balaton (băˈlətŏn, Hung. bŏˈlŏtôn) [key], lake, 230 sq mi (596 sq km), W central Hungary, at the foot of the Bakony Forest. The Zala River is its main tributary; the lake is drained by the Sió River. It is the largest lake in Central Europe with many tourist and health resorts. Its shallow waters abound in fish, and along the shores are fine vineyards. Overdevelopment and poor environmental management have raised concerns about the "health" of the lake.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Balaton from Infoplease:
- Balaton: meaning and definitions - Balaton: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/balaton - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Plattensee: meaning and definitions - Plattensee: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hungary - Information on Hungary — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Veszprém - Veszprém Veszprém , town (1991 est. pop. 64,277), W Hungary, near the Lake of ...