Alpes-Maritimes (älp-märētēmˈ) [key], department (1990 pop. 983,600), SE France, bounded by Italy on the east and the Mediterranean Sea on the south and surrounding the independent principality of Monaco. Nice is the capital.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Alpes-Maritimes from Infoplease:
- Alpes-Maritimes: meaning and definitions - Alpes-Maritimes: Definition and Pronunciation
- nice: meaning and definitions - nice: Definition and Pronunciation
- Villeneuve-Loubet - Villeneuve-Loubet Villeneuve-Loubet, village, Alpes-Maritimes province, France. The village ...
- Lérins - Lérins Lérins , group of four small islands, Alpes-Maritimes dept., SE France, in the ...
- Menton - Menton Menton , town (1990 pop. 29,474), Alpes-Maritime dept., SE France, near the Italian border ...