West Point, U.S. military post, since 1802 seat of the United States Military Academy. On the high west bank of the Hudson River N of New York City, West Point was the site of Revolutionary forts guarding the Hudson. Constitution Island, in the river, is also in the reservation. The plan of Benedict Arnold to surrender (1780) West Point to the British was discovered with the capture of Major John André.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on West Point from Infoplease:
- West Point: meaning and definitions - West Point: Definition and Pronunciation
- U.S. Military Academy - U.S. Military Academy Established in 1802 by an act of Congress, the U.S. Military Academy is ...
- New York - Information on New York — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- cardinal points: meaning and definitions - cardinal points: Definition and Pronunciation
- André: meaning and definitions - André: Definition and Pronunciation