Southington (sŭħˈĭngtən) [key], town (1990 pop. 38,518), Hartford co., central Conn.; settled 1696, inc. 1779. Manufacturing began in Southington in the 1770s, and its thriving machine tool industry was spurred by inventions made there before 1840. Chemicals, primary and fabricated metals, and electrical and transportation equipment are among the town's other manufactures.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Southington from Infoplease:
- Southington: meaning and definitions - Southington: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/southington - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Alwin Nikolais - Nikolais, Alwin Nikolais, Alwin , 1910–93, American dancer and choreographer, b. Southington, ...
- Christopher MURPHY - Christopher MURPHY (1973-Â ) MURPHY, Christopher, a Representative from Connecticut; born in ...
- Charles UPSON - Charles UPSON (1821-1885) UPSON, Charles, a Representative from Michigan; born in Southington, ...