Port Republic, village, NW Va., on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. During the Civil War, on June 8–9, 1862, the last battle of Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson's successful Shenandoah valley campaign was fought nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Port Republic from Infoplease:
- Richard Stoddert Ewell - Ewell, Richard Stoddert Ewell, Richard Stoddert, 1817–72, Confederate general, b. Georgetown, ...
- Thomas PARRAN - Thomas PARRAN (1860-1955) PARRAN, Thomas, a Representative from Maryland; born near St. Leonard, ...
- Stonewall Jackson: The Valley Campaign - The Valley Campaign Jackson was promoted to major general, and in November, Johnston assigned him ...
- January 21 Birthdays: Stonewall Jackson - January 21 birthdays: Stonewall Jackson, John C. Fremont, Ethan Allen, Sophia Jex-Blake, Jack Nicklaus, Christian Dior, Placido Domingo, Geena Davis, Telly Savalas
- Encyclopedia: Miscellaneous U.S. Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Miscellaneous U.S. Geography.