Placid, Lake, 4 mi (6 km) long and c.1.5 mi (2.4 km) wide, NE N.Y., in the Adirondack Mts., near Mt. Marcy. The lake, with Lake Placid village at the southern end, is a noted winter-sports center. It was the site of the 1980 Winter Olympics.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Lake Placid from Infoplease:
- Lake Placid: meaning and definitions - Lake Placid: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lake Placid - Lake Placid Lake Placid, village (1990 pop. 2,485), Essex co., NE N.Y.; settled 1850, inc. 1900. In ...
- Lake Placid - Lake Placid Director: Steve Miner Writer: David E. Kelley 20th Century Fox; 88 minutes; R Release: ...
- Winter Olympics Trivia: Did You Know? - Fun facts about the Winter Games
- Eric Heiden - Heiden, Eric Heiden, Eric , 1958–, American speed skater, b. Madison, Wis. After competing in ...