Osawatomie (ōˌsəwŏtˈəmē, ŏsˌə–) [key], city (1990 pop. 4,590), Miami co., E Kans., on the Marais des Cygnes River; founded 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Company, inc. 1883. The town, once a station on the Underground Railroad, has a memorial park that contains the cabin where John Brown lived in 1856.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Osawatomie from Infoplease:
- brown: meaning and definitions - brown: Definition and Pronunciation
- Abel Carter WILDER - Abel Carter WILDER (1828-1875) WILDER, Abel Carter, a Representative from Kansas; born in Mendon, ...
- John Brown, American abolitionist - Brown, John Brown, John, 1800–1859, American abolitionist, b. Torrington, Conn. He spent his ...
- May 9 Birthdays: John Brown - May 9 birthdays: John Brown, Billy Joel, Albert Finney, Glenda Jackson, Belle Boyd,
- Kansas - Information on Kansas — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.