Natural Bridge, small village, Rockbridge co., W Va., in the Shenandoah valley; founded 1774. Nearby is the famous Natural Bridge over the gorge of Cedar Creek. It is a limestone arch 215 ft (66 m) high with a span of 90 ft (27 m) and was once owned by Thomas Jefferson, who built a cabin there for visitors and kept a guest book. A public highway now crosses the bridge.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Natural Bridge from Infoplease:
- Natural Bridges National Monument - Natural Bridges National Monument Natural Bridges National Monument, 7,636 acres (3,093 hectares), ...
- Natural Bridges: meaning and definitions - Natural Bridges: Definition and Pronunciation
- Natural Bridge: meaning and definitions - Natural Bridge: Definition and Pronunciation
- New Braunfels - New Braunfels New Braunfels , city (1990 pop. 22,334), seat of Comal co., S central Tex., on the ...
- Rainbow Bridge National Monument - Rainbow Bridge National Monument Rainbow Bridge National Monument, 160 acres (65 hectares), S Utah; ...