Minot (mĪˈnät) [key], city (1990 pop. 34,544), seat of Ward co., NW N.Dak., on the Souris River; inc. 1887. It is a commercial and transportation center for an extensive agricultural, lignite-mining, and oil-producing region. Manufactures include building materials, petroleum compounds, and farm machinery. Minot State Univ. and a state agricultural experiment station are there. Nearby is Minot Air Force Base. Points of interest include the Theodore Roosevelt Park and Zoo and a nearby wildlife refuge.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Minot from Infoplease:
- Minot: meaning and definitions - Minot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Laurence Minot - Minot, Laurence Minot, Laurence, fl. 1333–52, English poet. He was the author of fervently ...
- George Richards Minot - Minot, George Richards Minot, George Richards , 1885–1950, American physician and ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/minot - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Minot, North Dakota, Housing Statistics - North Dakota Atlas Housing Statistics Minot, North Dakota QuickFacts · Demographic · ...