Faneuil Hall (fănˈəl, fănˈyəl) [key], public market and hall in Boston, Mass. Given to the city by the merchant Peter Faneuil in 1742, the building burned in 1761 but was rebuilt. The scene of Revolutionary meetings, it became known as "the cradle of liberty." Charles Bulfinch enlarged the hall in 1806. The building is still in use as market, meeting hall, and museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Physical Geography