Diamond Head, peak, 761 ft (232 m) high, along the rim of an extinct volcano, SE Oahu island, Hawaii. A prominent point in the Honolulu skyline, Diamond Head was designated a national natural landmark to protect its slopes from the commercial development along world-famous Waikiki Beach. U.S. Fort Ruger is at the northern end of the crater's floor. The crater was the site of an ancient Hawaiian burial ground.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Diamond Head from Infoplease:
- Diamond Head: meaning and definitions - Diamond Head: Definition and Pronunciation
- makai: meaning and definitions - makai: Definition and Pronunciation
- Waikiki - Waikiki Waikiki , famous beach and resort center SE of Honolulu on SE Oahu island, Hawaii. Tourism ...
- William Paul JARRETT - William Paul JARRETT (1877-1929) JARRETT, William Paul, a Delegate from the Territory of Hawaii; ...
- Oahu - Oahu Oahu , island (1990 pop. 836,231), 593 sq mi (1,536 sq km), third largest and chief island of ...