Denton, city (1990 pop. 66,270), seat of Denton co., N Tex.; inc. 1866. The city lies in an agricultural and industrial region, but the economy is based on education and research. The Univ. of North Texas, Texas Woman's Univ., and the Denton State School for the mentally retarded are there. Denton is also known as a city of roses. The North Texas State Fair is held there annually. The city is also the site of the first federally sponsored regional emergency and disaster center, where preparedness operations are undertaken.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Denton from Infoplease:
- Denton: meaning and definitions - Denton: Definition and Pronunciation
- French, John Denton Pinkstone, 1st earl of Ypres - French, John Denton Pinkstone, 1st earl of Ypres French, John Denton Pinkstone, 1st earl of Ypres , ...
- Jeremiah Andrew DENTON, Jr. - Jeremiah Andrew DENTON, Jr. (1924-Â ) Senate Years of Service: 1981-1987 Party: Republican ...
- George Kirkpatrick DENTON - George Kirkpatrick DENTON (1864-1926) DENTON, George Kirkpatrick, (father of Winfield K. Denton), a ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/denton - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus