Brookhaven. 1 City (1990 pop. 10,243), seat of Lincoln co., SW Miss.; inc. 1859. It is situated in a dairy, timber, and farm area. Oil and gas fields are nearby. The city's manufactures include wood products, apparel, lumber, wire cloth, and asphalt. 2 Town (1990 pop. 407,779), Suffolk co., SE N.Y., on E Long Island. The largest Long Island town in area at 326 sq mi (844 sq km), it is a rapidly developing residential, commercial, agricultural, and resort area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Brookhaven from Infoplease:
- Brookhaven: meaning and definitions - Brookhaven: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/brookhaven - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Jr. GRUCCI, Felix J. - Jr. GRUCCI, Felix J. (1951-Â ) GRUCCI, Jr., Felix J., a Representative from New York; born in ...
- Tapping Reeve - Reeve, Tapping Reeve, Tapping, 1744–1823, American lawyer and jurist, b. Brookhaven, N.Y. In ...
- William Floyd - Floyd, William Floyd, William, 1734–1821, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, b. ...