Tufts University, main campus at Medford, Mass.; coeducational; chartered 1852 by Universalists as a college for men. It became a university in 1955. Jackson College, formerly a coordinate undergraduate college for women, merged with the College of Liberal Arts in 1980. The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy is part of the Medford campus. The university's medical and dental schools are in Boston, and the veterinary school is in North Grafton. Tufts opened the first school of nutrition in the United States in 1981; it also operates the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center in Boston. Also of note is the Tufts European Study Center at Tailloires, France.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.