poltergeist (pōlˈtərgĪst) [key] [Ger., = knocking ghost], in spiritism, certain phenomena, such as rapping, movement of furniture, and breaking of crockery, for which there is no apparent scientific explanation. Believers in spiritism interpret these phenomena, particularly common during séances, as evidence of the presence of supernatural spirits.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on poltergeist from Infoplease:
- poltergeist: meaning and definitions - poltergeist: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Monster Guide - Menacing Monster Guide by David Johnson The Monster Guide Abominable Snowman Banshees Chupacabras ...
- Poltergeist (1982) - Starring Craig T. Nelson, JoBeth Williams, Beatrice Straight, Heather O'Rourke, Richard Lawson
- ghost - ghost: ghost: see apparition; poltergeist.
- Halloween - Halloween Monsters, and bats, and Dracula. Oh my! Monster Guide Abominable Snowman Banshees ...