rook, term used for a common Eurasian bird (genus Corvus ) of the family Corvidae (Crow family), smaller than the American crow. The jackdaw is a European species of the genus. Rooks nest in large colonies, whence the term rookery. They are classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Aves, order Passeriformes, family Corvidae.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on rook from Infoplease:
- Sir George Rooke - Rooke, Sir George Rooke, Sir George , 1650–1709, English admiral. In the War of the Grand ...
- rook: meaning and definitions - rook: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Farmer, His Boy, and the Rooks - A Farmer had just sown a field of wheat, and was keeping a careful watch over it, for numbers of Rooks and starlings kept continually settling on it a
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/rook - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Rook - Rook (A). A cheat. “To rook,” to cheat; “to rook a pigeon,” to fleece a ...