bight, broad bend or curve in a coastline, forming a large open bay. The New York bight, for example, is the curve in the coast described by the southern shore of Long Island and the eastern shore of New Jersey. The term bight may also refer to the bay so formed.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on bight from Infoplease:
- Bight of Biafra - Biafra, Bight of Biafra, Bight of , eastern bay of the Gulf of Guinea, W Africa. It extends ...
- Bight of Benin - Benin, Bight of Benin, Bight of, northern arm of the Gulf of Guinea, c.550 mi (885 km) wide, W ...
- bight: meaning and definitions - bight: Definition and Pronunciation
- Great Australian Bight: meaning and definitions - Great Australian Bight: Definition and Pronunciation
- Great Australian Bight - Great Australian Bight Great Australian Bight, wide bay of the Indian Ocean, indenting the southern ...