associationism, theory that all consciousness is the result of the combination, in accordance with the law of association, of certain simple and ultimate elements derived from sense experiences. It was developed by David Hartley and advanced by James Mill.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on associationism from Infoplease:
- associationism: meaning and definitions - associationism: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/associationism - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- David Hartley - Hartley, David Hartley, David, 1705–57, English physician and philosopher, founder of ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index asfetida Asgard asgd. Ásgeirsson asgmt. ash Asha Ashab ashake ashamed ...
- James Mill - Mill, James Mill, James, 1773–1836, British philosopher, economist, and historian, b. ...