Alvaro de Luna
Luna, Alvaro de (älväˈrō dā lōˈnä) [key], 1391?–1453, constable of Castile, grand master of the Order of Santiago. The favorite of John II of Castile, he virtually ruled the kingdom, winning victories over the Moors (1431) and the rebellious nobles (1445). However he aroused the enmity of John's second wife, Isabel of Portugal, whose schemes led to Luna's trial and execution.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Alvaro de Luna from Infoplease:
- John II, Spanish king of Castile and León - John II John II, 1405–54, Spanish king of Castile and León (1406–54), son and ...
- Carol's Journey - Starring Clara Lago, Juan José Ballesta, Álvaro de Luna, María Barranco, Carmelo Gómez
- Mambi - Starring Carlos Fuentes, Gustavo Salmerón, Aitor Merino, Gretel Pequeño, Álvaro de Luna
- Broken Silence (Silencio Roto) - Starring Lucía Jiménez, Juan Diego Botto, Mercedes Sampietro, Álvaro de Luna, María Botto
- Merlo - Merlo or Melo (Juan de). Born at Castile in the 15th century. A dispute having arisen at Esalona ...