Dare, Virginia, b. 1587, first white child of English parents to be born in America. She was the daughter of Ananias and Elenor Dare, members of Sir Walter Raleigh's ill-fated colony that settled Roanoke Island on the North Carolina coast. Since no trace remained of the colony when the relief expedition reached Roanoke in 1591, the child's fate is not known.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Virginia Dare from Infoplease:
- dare: meaning and definitions - dare: Definition and Pronunciation
- Virginia Dare - Biography of Virginia Dare, The first English person born in North America
- August 18 Birthdays: Virginia Dare - August 18 birthdays: Virginia Dare, Shelley Winters, Roman Polanski, Christian Slater, Patrick Swayze, Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit, Roberto Clemente, Meriwether Lewis, Rosalynn Smith Carter, Robert Redford
- Women Who Left Their Stamps on History - Women Who Left Their “Stamps” on History Each of the following women have made a ...
- Women Who Left Their Stamps on History - Susan B. Anthony Dollar Library of Congress Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) is the first woman to ...