Fort William Henry
Fort William Henry, at the southern end of Lake George, NE N.Y.; built by the English in 1755. In 1757, during the last conflict of the French and Indian Wars, it was captured and destroyed by the French. Although French Gen. Louis Montcalm had promised safe-conduct from the fort, he was unable to control his Native American allies, who attacked and killed many of those retreating from the garrison. Fort William Henry was rebuilt in 1953 and is now a museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Fort William Henry from Infoplease:
- Fort William Henry - William Henry, Fort: William Henry, Fort: see Fort William Henry.
- Lake George - Lake George Lake George, village (1990 est. pop. 1,100), seat of Warren co., E N.Y.; inc. 1903. ...
- Lake George - George, Lake George, Lake, glacial lake, 33 mi (53 km) long and 1 to 3 mi (1.6–5 km) wide, in ...
- Sir William Johnson - Johnson, Sir William Johnson, Sir William, 1715–74, British colonial leader in America, b. ...
- Louis Joseph de Montcalm - Montcalm, Louis Joseph de Montcalm, Louis Joseph de , 1712–59, French general. His name in ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. History