Bodleian Library (bŏdˈlēən, bŏdlēˈən) [key], at the Univ. of Oxford. The original library, destroyed in the reign of Edward VI, was replaced in 1602, chiefly through the efforts of Sir Thomas Bodley, who gave it valuable collections of books and manuscripts and in his will left a fund for maintenance. The library has one of the great collections of English books, including a major Shakespearean section; its extensive manuscript collection is especially rich in biblical and Arabic material. A new building for the library was opened in 1946. The Bodleian also maintains OLIS, the Oxford Libraries Information System, Oxford's online union library catalog, which contains records of the books, periodicals, and other items held by libraries within or associated with the university.
See H. H. E. Craster, History of the Bodleian Library, 1845–1945 (1952); A. G. and W. O. Hassall, Treasures from The Bodleian Library (1974); G. Walker, M Clapinson, and L. Forbes, The Bodleian Library: A Subject Guide to the Collections (2004).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bodleian Library from Infoplease:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Libraries, Books, and Printing