(3 syl.) or Sicarii were pious assassins among the
Jews, who imposed on themselves the task of killing all who broke the
Mosaic law. (Mishnah: Sanhedrim, ix. 6.)
“Simon Zelotes was probably a disciple of Judas the Gaulonite, leader
of a party of the Kenaim (Sicarii).” —Renan: Life of Jesus, ix.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Zelotes from Infoplease:
- Simon - Simon Simon, in the Bible. 1. One of the Maccabees. 2. or Simon Peter: see Peter, Saint. 3. See ...
- Saint Simon - Simon, Saint Simon, Saint , in the New Testament, one of the Twelve Apostles. In the Gospels he is ...
- Zelotes - Zelotes (3 syl.) or Sicarii were pious assassins among the Jews, who imposed on themselves the task ...
- Zelotes - Zelotes Zelotes [Gr.,=zealot], name of St. Simon.
- Acts: 1 - The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of…