A road extending east and west across South Britain. Beginning
at Dover, it ran through Canterbury to London, and thence to Cardigan.
The word is a corruption of Vitellina strata, the
paved road of Vitellius, called by the Britons Guetalin. Poetically
the “Milky Way” has been called the Watling Street of the
“Secunda via principalis dicitur Wateling-streate, tendens
ab euro-austro in zephyrum septentrionalem. Incipit ... a Dovaria ...
usque Cardigan.” —Leland.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Watling Street from Infoplease:
- Watling Street - Watling Street Watling Street , important ancient road in England, built by the Romans in the ...
- Watling Street - Watling Street A road extending east and west across South Britain. Beginning at Dover, it ran ...
- Sittingbourne - Sittingbourne Sittingbourne , town (1991 pop. 35,893), Kent, SE England, on the ancient Watling ...
- Fosse Way - Fosse Way Fosse Way , Roman road in England. It apparently ran from Exeter (Isca Dumnoniorum) NE ...
- Chatham, city, England - Chatham Chatham, city (1991 pop. 65,035), Kent, SE England, on the Medway River. Chatham, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring