[the Arrow]. So called from the rapidity of its current.
Hiddekel is “The Dekel,” or Diglath, a Semitic corruption of Tigra, Medo-Persic for arrow (Gen. ii. 14.)
“Flumini, a celeritate qua defluit Tigri nomen est; quia Persica
lingua, tigrim sagittam appellant.” —Quintus Curtius.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tigris from Infoplease:
- Tigris - Tigris Tigris , river of SW Asia, c.1,150 mi (1,850 km) long, rising in the Taurus Mts., E Turkey, ...
- Tigris: meaning and definitions - Tigris: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/tigris - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tigris - Tigris [the Arrow]. So called from the rapidity of its current. Hiddekel is “The ...
- Pearl, river, China - Pearl Pearl, Chin. Zhujiang, river, 110 mi (177 km) long, S Guangdong prov., S China. Formed at ...