A beat on the drum at night to recall the soldiers to their
barracks. It sounded at nine in summer and eight in winter. (French, tapoter or tapotez tous.)
The devil's tattoo.
Drumming with one's finger on the furniture, or with one's toe on
the ground - a monotonous sound, which gives the listener the “blue
(To). To mark the skin, especially the face, with
indelible pigments rubbed into small punctures. (Tahitan, tatu, from ta, mark.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tattoo from Infoplease:
- tattoo - tattoo tattoo, the marking of the skin with punctures into which pigment is rubbed. The word ...
- tattoo: meaning and definitions - tattoo: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Butterfly Tattoo - Starring Duncan Stuart, Jessica Blake, Aidan Magrath, Christopher Dane, Dan Morgan
- Tattoo, A Love Story - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Starring Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Robin Wright, Stellan Skarsgård