(Isle of) means the isle of gaps or indentations
(Celtic, skyb, a gap). Hence also the Skibbereen of Cork, which
is Skyb-bohreen, the byway gap, a pass in a mountain to the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Skye from Infoplease:
- Skye: meaning and definitions - Skye: Definition and Pronunciation
- Skye - Skye Skye , island (1991 pop. 8,868), 670 sq mi (1,735 sq km), largest and most northerly island of ...
- Skye - Skye (Isle of) means the isle of gaps or indentations (Celtic, skyb, a gap). Hence also the ...
- Minch - Minch Minch or North Minch,strait, 20 to 45 mi (32–72 km) wide, separating the N Outer ...
- Flora Macdonald - Macdonald, Flora Macdonald, Flora, 1722–90, Scottish Jacobite heroine. She aided Charles ...