A row, a disturbance. To kick up a shindy, to make a row.
(Gipsy, chinda, a quarrel.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shindy from Infoplease:
- shindy: meaning and definitions - shindy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Shindy - Shindy A row, a disturbance. To kick up a shindy, to make a row. (Gipsy, chinda, a quarrel.) ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Shcharansky Shcherbakov she shea butter sheaf shealing shea nut shear sheared ...
- Bobbery - Bobbery as “Kicking up a bobbery,” making a squabble or tumult, kicking up a shindy. It ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"